Avocados never seem to be ripe when you need them…especially when you want to make a recipe for a party. Living in a mid-sized town in Canada, I had been to all the stores, and there were no ripe avocados to be found. So, I hopped onto google in search for a solution. I found so many ‘hacks’ for ripening avocados overnight or even within an hour. This can’t be true, can it? After a number of failed recipes and hacks that I’ve found over the years, I’ve learned to not believe many of the things I read/see on the internet. So, I thought this would be a great idea for a blog post & YouTube video.
I went to Costco and bought a bag of 5 super green, hard as a rock avocados then picked 4 so-called hacks that seemed to be the most common/popular, leaving one avocado to ripen naturally to see if the other techniques are, indeed, faster.
Ripening Methods Used:
- First, I’m going to place an avocado in a windowsill.
- Second, I’m placing an avocado in a brown paper bag with an apple and banana, then placing it on a windowsill.
- Third, I’m placing an avocado in a paper bag with a 1/2 cup of flower, then on a windowsill.
- Fourth, I’m wrapping an avocado in tinfoil and heating it up in an oven at 200c/400f.
- Fifth, I’m wrapping an avocado in tinfoil and heating it up with a hairdryer for 10-20 minutes.
- This avocado would have been perfectly ripe after 5-7 days. I opened it on day four and it was still lovely, just slightly under ripe.
- This method was great, but you end up wasting a banana and an apple just to get your avocado ripe. I mean, I would use the banana in banana bread, but the apple is getting’ tossed into the compost!
- This was my favourite method by far! It ripened the avocado to perfection in 4 days, and it had the best flavour and consistency of the bunch. I have used this method since my experiment and it never disappoints.
- THIS WAS SO DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!! Don’t do it…it’s like an avocado and a chestnut had a baby and it makes the whole house smell. Yuck! Plus it took a whole hour for it to get soft!
- I tried this method for 15 minutes and stopped…I was so disappointed with the oven technique and I figured it was going to be similar. So instead, I put it on the windowsill next to the other avocados. The weird thing is, it was the least ripe avocado of them all on day four. I opened it on day 6 and it seemed to be just fine. I could see how this method might help soften it up a bit if your avocado is most of the way there…if you want to risk it.
So, putting an avocado in a paper bag with flour really does work! But, in all honesty, it wasn’t the miracle that was promised by countless websites and videos claiming to have a life changing hack…I certainly learned that anyone who claims to ripen an avocado with heat (oven, microwave, hairdryer) is a bit of a sleaze ball.
Thank you guys so much for checking out our website! It means a lot to us. If you found this helpful, please leave us a comment or give us a like. If you want to see more of our crackdowns on life hacks, check out our YouTube channel.